- Present a diachronic perspective on the most relevant achievements of Portuguese Literature in its connection with History and Historiography as regards expansion and its interpretations;
- Propose updated lines of interpretation of the relations between Portuguese Literature, History, mentality and Culture;
- Critically analyze Portuguese works and authors resulting from the impact of the Portuguese Expansion, both in the sixteenth and nineteenth centuries;
- Know the structure of the poem Os Lusíadas, relevant episodes and questions of style;
- Analyze in the work of Father António Vieira the idea of the Fifth Empire;
- Identify several critical positions taken by writers on the situation of Portugal in the late nineteenth century as regards the period of the expansion;
- Explain in Fernando's Mensagem the various moments of the History of Portugal, with special emphasis on the maritime expansion and the Sebastianist symbology.
5 ECTS / Semestral / Português