Change of Institution/Course pair

Change of Institution/Course pair is the act by which a student enrolls and/or enrolls in an institution/course pair other than the one(s) in which, in previous academic years, he or she registered.

The change of institution/course pair can take place with or without interruption of registration and enrollment in a higher education institution.


Request for change of institution/course pair:

1) Portuguese students or nationals of a member state of the European Union, or other nationalities who fall within the exceptions provided for in the International Student regime, who cumulatively:

     a) Have been enrolled and enrolled in another institution/course pair and have not completed it;

     b) Have taken the national secondary education exams corresponding to the entry tests set for that pair, for that year, within the scope of the general access regime;

     c) Have, in these exams, the minimum classification required by the higher education institution, in that year, within the scope of the general access regime.

2) The institution/course pair change regime also applies to students who have been enrolled and enrolled in a foreign higher education institution in a course defined as higher by the legislation of the country in question, and have not completed it.

3) It is not permitted to change institution/higher professional technical course pair, or foreign course of the corresponding level, for licentiate study cycles or integrated master's study cycles.



  • To be eligible, passing curricular units is not required, although the number of ECTS successfully completed enhances the application grade.
  • For students holding non-Portuguese courses legally equivalent to Portuguese secondary education, the condition established by subparagraphs b) and c) of paragraph 1 of article 9 of Ordinance no. 181-D/2015, of 19 June, may be satisfied through the application of article 20.º-A of Decree-Law no. 296-A/98, of 25 September, in its current wording.

The course change request must be formalized on the application platform, within the stipulated deadlines.


Documentation required for application:

1) Copy of identification document (civil and fiscal);

2) Certificate of enrollment in a higher education course, with reference to the curricular units taken, respective classification and ECTS;

3) One of the following documents depending on whether you have completed Portuguese (a) or foreign (b) secondary education:

     a) If you have completed portuguese secondary education - ENES Form (National Secondary Education Exams)

     b) If you have completed foreign secondary education, whether in Portugal or in another country, the qualification certificate must contain:

         i) Indication of the final classification (final/global average);

         ii) Indication of classifications per subject in each academic year;

         iii) Explanation of the classification scale, clarifying the minimum approval classification;

              Note: documents issued outside Portugal must contain the Hague Apostille or must be legalized by a Portuguese diplomatic or consular authority in the issuing country.

         iv) The certificate of completion of foreign secondary education needs to be accompanied by the Certificate of Equivalence to Portuguese secondary education.

4) Photograph (passport type);

5) Curriculum Vitae.


If you want to request credits:

  • The request for credits must be requested when carrying out the first enrollment. To instruct the process, you must submit the syllabus of the curricular units carried out (original and authenticated documents).
  • Academic Services should be consulted for more concrete details.


Documents issued in other countries must be legalized by the Portuguese diplomatic or consular authority in the issuing country, or contain the Hague Apostille.

When the documents are written in a foreign language other than Spanish, English or French, the respective translation must be delivered, carried out under the terms provided for in the notarial law.